Thursday, September 11, 2008

Use of the Resist-a-Ball for Prenatal Yoga Ladies

I love the use of the Resist-a-ball (or birth ball) for ladies taking prenatal yoga!
For me, it helped with the aches and pains, that generally were going on with my hips.

  • Seated Alphabet. As you sit on the ball, with your yoga mat underneath, write your name in cursive with your (ahem) behind. Keep your hands on the side of the ball for security. Don't forget to dot your i's and cross your t's. A bit of fun, in getting used to being on the ball. A chair can be beside you for further securty.
  • Hip Circles. Move in a circular motion, like you were doing the hula hoop (only, no hula hoop), behind making small circles on the ball, or tracing the letter "O" with your behind. Don't forget to do the other direction. Can help with the aches associated with the hips starting to open up, for preparation for delivery. I really think these hip circles helped me open up my pelvis, to where when I was in the final stage of labor (at 10 cm, 100% effaced), I only had to push 4 times to get baby Grace out! Wow, previous labors, it took a while....
  • Pelvic Tilts. Again, another method in easing back/hip pain issues. Curve your spine like a letter C, then do the opposite direction. Hands on the side of the ball. Another hip Opener.
Lots of other things to do with the Resist-a-ball. More on that later!
Post a Comment